WorldSkills 2022 Selection
To try and clarify the team selection WorldSkills 2022 process please see the information below.
Nationals 2022 & World Skills (Team Canada Selection)
- Below is a link to a letter Skills Canada BC circulated to its Provincial and National Tech Chairs in December 2021.
- This letter is currently posted on Skills Canada BC’s website under “WorldSkills 2022” or you can click here.
- Concurrent Competitions (2022).
- The Skills Canada National office is planning on hosting both its Nationals 2022 competition and the Team Canada Selection competitions concurrently, May 26/27, 2022.
- Final details about scheduling another cohort of thirteen Member Organization competitors in 30 competition areas will be forwarded to you as soon as it is available.
Age limits have been modified due to the postponement of WorldSkills 2021. For most skill competitions, Competitors can not be older than 23 years in the calendar year of the Competition.
In skill areas:
- Aircraft Maintenance
- Cloud Computing
Competitors can not be older than 26 years in the year of the Competition. Competitors cannot be a certified journey person prior to May 1st of the SCNC year, in the skill area in which they wish to compete.
Provincial Tech Committees
In addition to organizing the Provincials 2022, Provincial Technical Committees will need to find a method of selecting the best competitor to represent British Columbia in the World Skills Selection event.
I would like to suggest that PTC’s consider the following list of possible World Skills competitor sources:
- SCNC 2019 medalists or high scoring competitors who will meet age and journeyman status,
- students and apprentices who were preparing for 2020 or 2021 Provincials in a serious way or are in the estimation of their instructors, serious contenders.
There are many different options for selecting provincial competitors for going forward into the competitor selection event for WorldSkills 2022.
- Take the gold and silver medalists from Provincials 2022 – allow the gold medalist to compete to get onto Team Canada, allow the silver medalist to compete for gold at the Nationals 2022.
- It is possible that the Provincial Technical Committees may want to consider holding runoff event(s) to determine the best competitor to send to World Skills Selection. Possible time periods include Fall 2021 or Winter 2022.
Manager of Competitions